|This is the article for the video game.|
|You could be looking for the early version of the game or a different page with a similar name.|
- Little Nightmares I redirects here.
Little Nightmares (also called Little Nightmares 1) is a platforming game from Tarsier Studios released on April 28, 2017 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. A Nintendo Switch port was released on May 18, 2018 and on June 1, 2020 it was released for Google Stadia.
Immerse yourself in Little Nightmares, a dark whimsical tale that will confront you with your childhood fears! Help Six escape The Maw – a vast, mysterious vessel inhabited by corrupted souls looking for their next meal. As you progress on your journey, explore the most disturbing dollhouse offering a prison to escape from and a playground full of secrets to discover. Reconnect with your inner child to unleash your imagination and find the way out!
Little Nightmares begins the story on the lower floor of the Maw, a ship filled with grotesque and creepy humanoid monsters of various shapes and sizes. The main character of the game is a little girl in a yellow raincoat named Six, we will accompany her in the game as she tries to get out of the ship alive.
The game begins with Six having a nightmare in which a masked woman approaches her, after which she wakes up in a large suitcase. The girl, with the help of her lighter, enters the Prison for children, guarded by the long-armed Janitor. Gradually, she begins to experience attacks of hunger, which an unknown boy helps to satisfy Six by giving her piece of bread.
Soon the Janitor learns about the heroine’s escape, so he lures her with a piece of meat into a cage and carries her to the Lair. Having got out of it, Six attracts the attention of the monster and, thus, throughout the entire level he chases after it until it is driven into a room, blocking his path to the girl with a closing door. He sticks his hands into it to get Six, but she breaks the cage that held the door, cutting off the arm's of the Janitor.
Once in the the Kitchen, Six for the third time begins to starve. She had no choice but to eat a rat caught in mousetrap. On the way, she comes across twin chefs who immediately reacted aggressively to an uninvited guest. The heroine hardly manages to escape to the Guest Area with the help of hooks for carrying bundles of meat.
In the next location, Six meets the Guests who have sailed to the Maw to eat dishes prepared specially for them. However, soon the guests went crazy to such an extent that they began to ferociously chase Six. There are more and more of them, and finally, the guests formed a wave, wanting to catch the heroine. They chase after her, but Six narrowly escapes from the wave of cannibals by swinging onto a lantern to a safe balcony. There, the girl begins to writhe again from hunger. a Nome, who stood in the way, decides to give her a sausage, but Six chooses to eat the unsuspecting creature instead.
Finally, once in the Lady's Quarters, the heroine meets the masked woman who appeared in her nightmare. Having taken the key to the door to the dressing room, Six draws the attention of the Lady of the Maw, which begins to chase after her, until the girl runs to the abandoned part of the palace. There, among the broken mirrors, she finds a small whole mirror, with the help of which the Six reflects the rays of light on the Lady, thereby weakening her. Feeling the fifth time hunger, Six bites into the neck of the lady. Together with satisfying the hunger, the heroine gains the ability to absorb the souls of living beings, which she used at a party, thus getting out of the Maw to the surface.
Note: If the player hugs the Nomes during the game, in the end they will watch the Six coming out of the Maw.
Little Nightmares is a puzzle adventure game in which players play as a girl named Six, who must escape the ship called the Maw while avoiding huge and aggressive monsters. Despite the fact that due to the weakness and small stature of the heroine, they are not able to resist the enemies in any way, the Six is not limited in movements, so she can go in any direction, run, jump, push and climb various obstacles, take and throw objects, as well as use a lighter to light your path and light the lamps placed throughout the Maw. Thanks to all this, the heroine can hide or run away from opponents seeking to catch and destroy her.
- Six - The main protagonist. At the time of the game, her goal is to escape from the Maw and reach the Lady seen in her dream, all the while managing her ever present hunger.
- Nomes - Small, childlike and skittish humanoid creatures, who can often be seen running all over the various nooks and crannies of the Maw.
- Leeches - Seemingly water native worm-like creatures that suck blood from their victims.
- The Janitor - A long-armed, blind, and monstrous looking human, guarding a prison for children.
- Shoe Monster - An unknown creature, that briefly pursues Six in a shoe disposal area.
- Twin Chefs - Two large and cruel brothers, that relentlessly prepare the food for the Guests of the Maw.
- Guests - The gluttonous, unaware elite, who arrived at the Maw to eat dishes prepared especially for them.
- The Lady - The main antagonist of the game. A woman in a white mask, who controls the Maw through mystical powers. She chooses the Maw, as it is the only place that makes sense to her.
- Captured children - Minor characters. Like Six, stolen from the mainland and held hostage at the Maw to be made into food.
- The bread giving boy - An unnamed child and one of many captured children. He helped Six satisfy one of her first hunger strikes with a piece of bread, after that, he is not seen again.
- Dark Six - An unknown creature. It is similar to the silhouette of Six.
- Secrets of the Maw - A DLC expansion containing 3 new chapters with a new protagonist to control known as the Runaway Kid as he explores new unseen areas in the Maw.
- Exclusive masks - A DLC expansion containing 4 different exclusive cosmetics that can be worn by Six and the Runaway Kid. The masks included are:
- Scarecrow sack.
- Upside-down teapot.
- Tengu mask.
- Fox mask.
Little Nightmares has received mostly positive reviews. It currently holds an 80% score on Metacritic receiving generally favorable reviews from critics.
- The game was originally named as "Hunger". This might be related to Six's hunger.
- The change in name was due to how if the game were known as "Hunger", people searching for said game would most likely look up "Hunger games" which would mix up the search results with The Hunger Games, a completely unrelated book series.
- The game was probably inspired in part by Hayao Miyazaki's anime film Spirited Away and Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film The City of Lost Children..